The Postmusik Salzburg can still be heard and seen regularly at the Salzburg Festival. For example, the parade for the opening of the Salzburg Festival Ball as well as the Salzburg Festival Opening Party have been accompanied several times, and parts of the orchestra formed the stage music in “The Last Days of Mankind” (Die letzten Tage der Menschheit). International concert tours are on the program. Also in Austria the Orchestra plays in the most important concert halls such as the Wiener Musikvereinssaal (which you might know from the Vianna New Year’s Concert). Many CDs have been produced as well. In 2007 the Postmusik Salzburg was awarded a gold CD for the CD “Sound of Music”.
In addition to the orchestra, several larger and smaller ensembles were founded. The most successful is the Post Big Band Salzburg. This band is in great demand in the ball season. Internationally, the Post Big Band is known as band on several cruise ships in the Mediterranean Sea.
In 1996 Franz Milacher became conductor of the Postmusik Salzburg. Together with chairman Walter Blachfellner, he made the Postmusik Salzburg what it is today. A nationally and internationally known orchestra at a high level. Several concert tours to China, Australia, Tasmania, Italy, Hungary, France, Spain, Croatia and beyond followed. At the invitation of the Salzburg Festival, several concerts were held at the Salzburg Felsenreitschule.
In 1983 the musicians received the historic uniform of a prince-archbishop’s postilion from around 1780. This uniform has shaped the visual image of the Postmusik Salzburg to this day.
In 1984, the Postmusik Salzburg was the first symphonic wind orchestra to play in the Salzburg Festival Hall – it made wind music socially acceptable and helped it to gain appropriate attention in high culture. Symphonic wind music at the highest level has characterized this ensemble since then. Further concerts in national and international concert halls will follow.
In 1985 the Postmusik Salzburg finally became an independent association. Since then, the regular autumn concerts have taken place in the Great Conert Hall of the Mozarteum Salzburg.
In 1956, the Postmusik Salzburg played a concert in the Mirabell Gardens for the first time. Since then, many promenade and light fountain concerts have been on the program every summer in the Mirabell Gardens of Salzburg. The Postmusik Salzburg becomes a recognized orchestra in the city and federal state of Salzburg.
After World War II, the orchestra was incorporated under its current name “Postmusik Salzburg” into the union of post and telegraph employees / Salzburg regional group.
In autumn 1938 the Postmusik was founded under the name “Postschutzkapelle Salzburg”.